Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hey hey!

As this is my first entry into our blog I thought I would give you a small glimpse into one of the days of being Steven Gary Jacobson.

Mondays, Mondays, Mondays (I wrote this on Monday) not the favourite day of the week for most people, the idea that you have no more weekend left, the drudgery of traffic and back to seeing the colleague that you would prefer not to see… ever!

I on the other hand don’t mind my Mondays, too much. I start work at 8am in Melkbos Strand (only on a Monday, as every day I am in a different part of Cape Town) which is about a 35 minute drive away, on an open road, as all the traffic is in the opposite direct. This is round about the time I open my window and blast which ever CD is in my player for that month. I have this silly obsession of listening to one CD over and over again. One reason is that I can’t stand the music that is played on the radio!

This months CD is by a band from the late 60’s called The Turtles, best known for their single, ‘Happy Together’. If you have a moment, take a listen one of their other tracks, ‘The Guide for the Married Man’ and ‘You Don’t Have to Walk in the Rain’. The Turtle are one of my favourite bands and one of the many bands that I practiced to as boy and that have influenced my style of playing. They are very old school but fantastic! Let me know what you think.

Now that I have my window open, the crisp morning air flowing in and the music blasting, I get that ‘holiday’ sensation. That ‘no worry in the world’ feeling, which is even further emphasized by my first stop, Melkbos beachfront. The smell and sound of the ocean, the cold breeze and the random people either fishing or taking a jog. I get out the car, sit on the bonnet, stare out at the waves and wonder away for a moment …

Then about fifteen minutes later reality sets in and off to work I go…

So just as quickly as that reality hits me on the back of the head with the force of a ten ton truck (if you need a better analogy just ask Adam, he is full of them) let me remind you that you have work to do and that you are not on holiday…

Thanks for reading, more to come soon. Have a great week and I hope to see you at our next gig or whenever I see you…

Ciao

Steven Gary Jacobson

No comments:

Post a Comment